Matthew CaspelLast Updated: September 8, 2022
Southern District, Illinois
Insurrection Related Information
- Present at Capitol on 1/6
- Arrested in Southern District, Illinois
- Pleaded on Sep 2, 2022
DOJ Case Number:
- Knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority;
- Knowingly engages in any physical violence against any person or property in any restricted building or grounds; or attempts or conspires to do so;
- Forcibly assaulted, resisted, opposed, impeded, intimidated, or interfered with any officer or employee of the United States or of any agency in any branch of the United States Government (including any member of the uniformed services) while engaged in or on account of the performance of official duties;
- Committed or attempted to commit any act to obstruct, impede, or interfere with law enforcement officer lawfully engaged in the lawful performance of his official duties incident to and during the commission of a civil disorder which in any way or degree obstructs, delays, or adversely affects commerce or the movement of any article or commodity in commerce or the conduct or performance of any federally protected function.
Timeline of Litigation
ArrestedSouthern District, Illinois | January 26, 2021
ChargedMarch 30, 2022 "Indictment filed 3/30/22."
ChargedAugust 22, 2022 "Information filed 8/22/22."
PleadedSeptember 2, 2022 "Pleaded guilty 9/2/22."
Illinois Man Pleads Guilty to Felony Charge for Actions During Jan. 6 Capitol BreachPublished on September 2, 2022 Read at US DOJ